In a video from 2013 that's blowing up YouTube, the Crazy Russian Hacker teaches you how to open a can without a can opener. It's fascinating—and handy!
He has it listed as a "Zombie Survival Tactic" — and don't get me wrong, it would definitely come in handy in a world with lots of zombies and also no can openers — but we think it's probably more applicable to when life gets a little chaotic.
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
1/2 cup (or 1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time, then add in vanilla extract and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine. Mix in the milk, and finish with remaining half of dry ingredients.
4. Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 T milk
½ tsp red, orange, and yellow gel food coloring (more if liquid food coloring)
1. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract, and add enough milk to reach desired consistency.
2. Divide frosting between three bowls and color with red, orange, and yellow food coloring.
Source: Pottery Barn
- Box Tops for Education
Box Tops are available on hundreds of items sold in the store. These are all worth 10¢ each and they do add up quickly.
- My Coke Rewards
Donate your points here and your child's school can cash in points for sports equipement, art supplies and more!
- Campbell’s Soup Labels
Clip the UPC off participating items (Campbell’s, V8, BIC, Pepperidge Farm, Pace Swanson). Labels earn points that can be redeemed in the Labels for Education catalog on sports, academic and art equipment. More info.
Shop through SMILE.AMAZON.COM and your charity/school gets a percentage back from what you’ve purchased from Amazon. You still get the items you want (even free prime shipping) and they earn too.
- Sell Old Phones & Tablets
Sell your old tech online and earn money for yourself and your school at the same time! You get every penny your item is worth and MAXBACK gives a 10% donation to your school of choice.
- Your Local Grocery Store
Add your school to your rewards card and every time you shop, scan your card at the register and the store gives a percentage of your purchase back to your school. There is no cost to you at all!
- Find a spot outdoors and cover nearby items with drop cloths or old sheets to protect them from spray mist.
- Clean the inside and outside of the glass, using glass cleaner and a lint free cloth.
- Tape and cover with paper, the outside of the jar or vase to prevent overspray on to the object.
- Hold the can of mirror paint 10-12” from the surface. Press the spray button and spray a light coat on the inside of the vase or jar.
- While the paint is still wet, spritz the painted side with the water vinegar solution and blot the inside of the vase with a paper towel to achieve the distressed look.
- Repeat steps 5-6 to achieve the desired look.
- Let dry and enjoy your new work of art.
- As an optional step to get a more distressed look, you can add a very light coat of Ultra Cover Flat black after step 5 and blot with a paper towel.