It pays to know Target's shopping secrets!
- Use the scanner.Sometimes the clearance team misses an item that should have been re-stickered with a lower price. If it is something you want, always check the price with a scanner. Also, scan things that are one of a kind. These things may be returns from previous seasons that have been clearanced out. You may be surprised!
- Look for repackaged items. These items could be something that was purchased online and returned to the store, or simply a return without a box.
- Learn to read the red stickers. Red stickers appear on all clearance deals at Target. The original price appears on the top right corner along with a number such as, “15, 30, 50″ etc. This is the percentage it has been marked down.
- “As Is” According to a Target associate, the items that are clearance labeled “AS IS” is just a fancy way of saying Target doesn’t carry this product anymore and they need to get it out of the store.
- Be sure to check the new Target coupon policy too!
- Keep your receipts. Target has a strict return policy which limits the returns you can make without a receipt ($75 per year). However, there is a way around this. The store tracks every credit card purchase. If you can remember which credit card you purchased the item with, the store can look up the transaction by simply swiping your card and scanning the item. If they find the transaction, they will let you return the item without the physical receipt. If you do have your receipt, Target will adjust the prices on items that go on sale (not clearanced) within 14 days of the purchase.
- Check out the Target REDcard. Target introduced its REDcard in fall 2010. Cardholders will receive 5% off when they use the Target REDcard debit card, or 5% cash back with the Target REDcard credit card. Details here.
- Take advantage of Target’s price matching policy. If you find an item in a competitor’s ad, bring it to Target and they’ll match the advertised price. The competitor’s ad must be local and current, and the product must be the identical item, brand name, quantity and model number. Read more aboutTarget’s Price Matching Policy here.
- Sign up for mobile coupons. Sign up to receive coupons via text message five times a month on your mobile phone. To redeem, simply show the cashier the barcode. Target Coupons via Text
- Don't forget about printable coupons. Get them here.
- Use coupons. Not only does Target accept manufacturer coupons, they can be used in conjunction with their store coupons as well. Printable internet coupons are accepted.
- Know the markdown schedule. This is a schedule that a typical Target store will use for their markdowns. Your store may vary this schedule, so get to know the employees! It doesn’t hurt to ask what your own Target’s schedule for markdowns is. Many Target stores nationwide follow a similar markdown schedule such as this one:
Monday Target Markdowns: Kids’ Clothing, Stationery (office supplies, gift wrap), Electronics
Tuesday Target Markdowns: Women’s Clothing and Domestics
Wednesday Target Markdowns: Men’s Clothing, Toys, Health and Beauty
Thursday Target Markdowns: Lingerie, Shoes, Housewares
Friday Target Markdowns: Cosmetics, Housewares, Automotives