Traveling this summer? We have teamed up with SocialMoms and Safelite Auto Glass to share their tips on keeping safe on the road.
Here are my top 10 tips to keep you safe on the road this summer:
- Before heading out on a long-distance trip, be sure to have your mechanic check brake and oil levels, tires, etc. There is nothing worse than getting a “check engine” light on in the middle of nowhere!
- Also, have the windshield looked at too. We have had a lot of hail storms here in Ohio recently and that has been keeping the body shops busy! A chip in a windshield doesn’t seem like a big deal, but did you know the windshield provides up to 30% of your vehicles structural integrity, and a chip smaller than 6 inches (or the size of a dollar bill) can easily be repaired by filling it with a special resin.
- One highly recommended company to use is Safelite AutoGlass. Scheduling a windshield chip repair is easy! Companies like Safelite AutoGlass provide mobile service – wherever your car is – often within 24 hours of your initial call.
- And this is another added bonus too- With many insurance companies, there is no deductible for the repair.
- Consider getting a GPS. I have no sense of direction and the GPS has saved me many times on trips! They are really affordable. You can find a good GPS at Target for under $100.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car which should include equipment to change a tire, bottled water, fire extinguisher and flashlight.
- If you aren’t already a member, consider signing up for AAA. Getting towed in an area you are unfamiliar with is very stressful. We have been towed a few times. AAA is also good for fixing a flat. We had a flat recently and they came right out and helped us.
- Get a good night’s sleep before heading out. You don’t want to travel tired!
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Reduce distractions. Turn off the cellphone and resist the urge to text or check email. There are also apps you can download to lock your phone, so you can’t use it. And keep items you need to reach in the front or where you can find them. Reaching back for something and getting distracted is a big cause of auto accidents.
With a little planning ahead of time, you can relax and enjoy your vacation, knowing you’ll be safe on the road.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.